Friday, June 09, 2006

World Cup...

Its finally here....my first memory of the world cup was way back in my 8th or 9th standard....and I remember supporting Maradona and Argentina to the hilt..only to see them turning into rouges on the field...I remember one player even tugged at a players throat to prevent him from kicking the ball...and Argentina finally lost.....my heart was crest fallen...and to add to the bad news my grandfather died the same day .... so basically it was a really sad time...

and then years later I remember getting all excited about the world cup again....and I somehow felt that you would enjoy the game better only when you are sitting with a crowd in a big house with a big TV..my TV in those days was a small little 14 inch TV so I immediately discounted it.....so I orchestrated the whole programme at my friend Sam's place...he was given specific instructions on where the TV (a large 32 inch one) should be, what drinks to get and ofcourse how much "fun" we should be having....

and as murphy's law would have it things just went crazy from the time I landed at my friend's place.....for starters my friend's tv didnt not have the normal sports channel and had only an obscure channel where the commentary was in Albanian or Arabic or some other language which we could not understand for the life of us....so there we were watching the match and trying to decipher the commentary........and then the match reached a crucial point...you know the point where either of the teams could lose and it just hangs on one goal....and all of us were all at our seats edge putting full concentration and thot to decipher the foreign language commentary...and then..the POWER WENT OFF!!!!!...yes in a city where the electricity never shuts it went off only in my friend's place on that particular day at that crucial moment.....and by the time we ran to my house to watch the match on my small 14 inch TV, we had missed the crucial match altering goal....

anyways this year I hope it is different...and I am writing this even as I wait for my friends to get ready to go to Sports Bar to watch the match on a 5o inch TV with loads of screaming drunk people...well people this is one time where I dont mind being in a pub...

No comments: