Sunday, November 26, 2006

Being Alone vs. Being Lonely

At the end of a long stressful day in office I usually dream about a nice dinner at Noodle Bar (a popular chain of restaurant) where I can toss up my own style of low fat healthy yummy noodles, sip a glass of their iced lemon tea and read some interesting book or just think through the things of the day... ALL ALONE!.... Just me and my thots .... with the rest of the world caught up in its crazy motions and little schemes... tranqulity, calmness, oneness...one hour of complete connection with self....

Many people have reacted adversely to this cosy little plan of mine.... "No way!!! You cant go alone!!" shout some... Others ponder "But people will think you are all alone.." Others just bluntly ask me "Are you crazy?"

I dont know whether wanting to be alone for a few hours is crazy... Does a person need to be accompanied all the time?? Its a debate that has been ongoing for a while and will probably be ongoing for as long as mankind is able to debate... Does being alone mean that you are lonely??

Frankly I cherish the time I spent alone with myself... no its not arrogance or me shunning company... I cannot be alone all the time, I dont want to be alone all the time and I am not alone all the time... I just love stealing away moments for myself from the world- from family, from work, from worries and the general humdrum of life... and no matter what age or what stage in my life I am, I am sure that this is a luxury I would want ... the people closest to me would vouch for the fact that me taking time off once in a while just makes me come back lighter and fresher....

Its a basic lesson that every person forgets when life begins... to appreciate and understand the one thing you will have for life - YOURSELF!!!

No comments: