Sunday, November 06, 2005

So...Do you Cook??

You know its actually strange.... couple of years ago when my parents were trying their levelest best to get me married to mallu syrian christian boys I would dread one question the most-"so, do you cook?" AAARGGGGHHHH...it was enough to make me see red and I would retort by asking the already scared boy - "No. Do you?" Needless to say the syrian christian community didnt quite warm up to that question...

Not that my reaction to such a question would change now but the major change is that now I really love cooking.....every weekend is cooking time for me.....the recipes are usually sourced from my sister, aunt, my friend Devika and ofcourse my mom....and till date most of them have been non veg dishes....well not my fault -every syrian christian mallu considers only non veg as the real food, veg food being only for starters...(that might explain the expanding waistline of most mallu syrian christians)....so till date I have cooked fish cutlets, chicken cutlets, mallu chicken curry, chicken briyani, and some other chicken dish which doesnt have a name but still tastes decent when you just dont want to eat outside food.....

ofcourse when I started off it was not all that smooth sailing....Once I even called up Devika in the night just to ask her how to boil rice....and the first time I cooked the briyani I stopped the flame only when the burning smell of rice emanated into the living room...hmmm...in such situations I usually call up my mom or my sister to complain that their recipes were actually defective and that is what led to the disasters in the kitchen....they are usually laughing through the call....shameless people I tell you....

and now I am nursing ambitions of cooking desserts....the only dessert that I have made till date is a biscuit cake which I made for a friend's b'day...the cake was BAD but my friend ate it up happily in appreciation of my efforts...now I want to graduate to making proper cakes, which you take out of the oven with oven mittens...oh wait...I dont have an oven yet....well whenever that happens...

my boasting about my cooking prowess had an unintended effect....Everyone I boasted to has invited themselves over to my place this coming Sat....hmm....please feel free to give me suggestions on what to cook....including desserts that can be cooked without an oven....or maybe I will ask my sister to cook and pass off her cooking ...hahah....not a bad idea huh?

No comments: