Friday, February 01, 2008

Changing Times

When I had just come back to India I was most excited about the advertisements - the advertisements were all so different from the ones I had seen and full of life... there was Sangeeta Bijlani (of the Azhar fame) telling me to use only Nirma, Kapil Dev endorsing a shaving cream and sprouting someting in punjabi, Only Vimal ads and ofcourse the famous "Vicco Turmeric, Nahi Cosmetic"... Vicco Industries is on the way to my sisters house and everytime I see the Vicco I find myself singing "Vicco Turmeric, Nahi Cosmetic....

Just yday I saw an advertisement which showed a girl buying her dad a car.... and the dad being so proud of her.... now daughters buying their dads a car is a common occurence in India ( I would think so at least) but this is the first time I have seen an ad actually showing women as being responsible .... women as being capable or actually in need of financial planning... I was very very impressed....

ofcourse needless to say that there are very very regressive ads still prevailing.... the most irritating ones are the ICICI ads which show the sindoor that is put on a woman at her marriage as being the sign of protection.... with catchy lines like "make sure that she is protected after you are no more" .... What in the world!!.... and to think ICICI is dominated by women and they still manage to maintain such a regressive position in the air waves - Kamat, if you are by any chance reading my blog - please walk with the times or at least change your advertisement agency....

No comments: