Wednesday, March 08, 2006

International women's day and Me

Since it is supposedly the most important day for a woman I thought I would put in my two bits about what this day signifies for me....

The first thought that occurs to me when someone wishes me on this day is - Why do we need a day like this?...I mean why do I need special treatment as a woman..if I am indeed equal to a man why do I need a special day reminding me..Then I realise that I am not the one this day is targeted at...Its for the millions of women who dont have a voice...and who until told specifically will never realise that they are the masters of their destiny and life ....for women who are made to believe that they will never be equal to a man....

Yet the fundamental question remains - why does the world need reminding? Is it not obvious that women are equal albeit different? Is it not obvious that life as we know it is not possible without women? Or is it just convenient for the world to forget it? Just makes more economic sense when half of the world does not get a share in it?

Sometimes I feel women themselves dont realise their own value and perpetuate the trend through generations....

No comments: