Thursday, March 09, 2006

Memories of the memoirs...

What could be more fitting than watching an oscar nominated, women centric movie like Memoirs of a Geisha on International Women's day? Hmmm.. perhaps not watching it?

It was just ironical that on the day that womanhood is celebrated all over the world I watched a movie that concentrated totally on how to attract a man and getting a man to accept you as his "dannair" or as I interpreted it as the "donor"...So the movie was filled with tips such as "how to trip a man with just a look'...and "how to show a little of your skin and then retract it to get his interest"...and "how to talk intellgently to snare a man away from competition"....not that executing any of those tips would have been easy...at least for me ....instead of tripping a man with my looks I would have probably tripped him with my leg ......and in the process of showing a bit of skin and retracting it I would have spilt coffee over him .... well people... you have it or you dont...

Not that the world has progressed much since the Geisha days....silent competition between women still exist over getting the perfect "catch"... it is sad, but women of today still measure their success in terms of the husbands they have managed to get...Poor husbands actually...they have to live up to the neighbour's standards....

but at the end of the movie I came away feeling sad for all those women who dont have choices like me...for the number of girls whose families trade in them to earn their bread...I feel helpless as always...I guess the movie did achieve its purpose..and in a day or two I will mask my helpless with a sense of nonchalance.....I cant change the world alone is what I will keep saying to myself to deny my guilt in perpetuating the system...

And I instinctively know I am not alone in that thought process...

No comments: