Friday, June 17, 2011

Sometimes I just dont understand people.... more specifically I cant understand some women...

I had two conversations with two different women from different ends of the spectrum.... to both I asked the question, where are you from? innocuous enough...to which both replied their respective communities "I am a gujarati" or "I am a Sindhi".... ofcourse I didnt think much of that... and may have even volunteered details of where I am from... only later when conversaions went deeper did I realise that these women were actually from totally different communities... they were actually saying that they are from the community that they were married into!! So these women had changed their entire identity to that of the husbands... and it seems they had even changed their genes!

I mean how does one lose their original identity by marriage... do you suddenly become a South Indian just because your spouse is from South India?? by that logic do you become educated just because your spouse is educated??

while my attempts to ask them these questions were met with a lot of disdain... but I seriously started wondering...

Whether women themselves are behind their own devaluation???? something to think about...... and something for me to also think about as well - why I think so differently....

No comments: