Monday, March 05, 2018

Law School Days

One of the most endearing qualities about law school is the ability to make friends of anyone...what do you get when you put 17 year olds in an isolated building with miles of nothingness around you? you bond with each other and become life long friends...ofcourse we didn't know it then... that we were all a part of a large cosmic event in our lives ....

anyways one of the most endearing stories from my law school days is that of my hostel life....and that of my exams .... We had a system where you could do "repeats" if you didn't clear the exams first time round... and in my first trimester of first year I was saddled with a repeat in my Torts class...I had had a run-in with my professor as a result of which I was flunked by him... yes yes, in life you have to suck up to people... but that still meant I was distraught over getting a repeat... but I was not alone in this... My friends J (lets call her that) also had a repeat... and was equally distraught...she and I cried over the phone for hours... saying how disappointed we were in ourselves....and how we could not let our parents down...and ourselves down...in between tears we decided to dedicate ourselves to bettering ourselves in school and studying hard... and to motivate ourselves we said we should choose a role model.... someone like our friends Toto... she has fun and is good at studies... we would try to emulate her going forward... she would be our role model and guide...

with most repeaters, you are required to undertake that exam about a week before the trimester starts... and J and I landed up in our hostel room... a dark dingy room where al the girls had left behind their belongings... we had beds to sleep but not entirely comfortable...and to top it all we had no electricity... so we had to study under candle light (and not necessarily of the Lincoln way)... J and I landed up in our hostel room despondent that we had brought this fate on us... and thinking next trimester onwards we would be better off like our role model Toto...

And then guess who turns up next morning in our dorm??? Toto... and she had got not one but 2 repeats... unlike us who got only one repeat...so there it was our role model who we had held in such high esteem and pedestal was now a repeater like us!!!

3 of us laboured  through the electricity free nights and did clear our exams... and it was one of thebest friendships we developed...

No comments: