Monday, November 12, 2007

So many things to say

My mind is brimming with thoughts on many things.... despite my work load my thoughts sometimes meander into the realm of the "societal issues".... for instance child abuse, abandoned children, environment etc..... right now my mind is fresh from a discussion about who contributes more to society - Arts students or the Science students..... well this debate is endless..... often it is said that only those who are bad in maths will go into Arts.... and hence in some way inferior to those who can do maths...

my personal take on the subject is that my teacher in 1st standard hit me so hard while teaching me maths that since then i have a phobia against maths.... so I might have been the next Ramanujam of India but was sadly nipped in the bud by my 1st standard teacher.... well not that everybody is in the same category of a traumatised maths student.... some just like Arts better..... I personally like the Arts subjects more .... I love history and I love imagining what it was like in the era gone by.....

and now to the question of who contributes more to society.... as I gently pointed out in the discussion - the freedom struggle was led by lawyers - presumably just using their sense of justice, connection with people and vision for the country instead of any complicated maths formula.... I wonder whether we could have got freedom by the scientists working overtime to develop the best formula for throwing out the British.... ofcourse this is not to deride the contribution of the great scientists in developing our country ....

both are important in their own right and one cannot do without the other......

No comments: