Thursday, April 10, 2008

Whats in a name?

Lots it seems if you are named Alice!... I mean i have been subjected to jokes about my name whenever I have introduced myself -
its always either "Oh Alice in wonderland! Are you in wonderland?" (Gee, so original dude) or "Alice, Who the F#*@ is Alice?!" Again I crawl under the table everytime these really cliched and boring jokes are made at a social gathering.... sometimes I take a nonchalant approach and look at the person with eyes that mean to say "Seriously? Why do you even exist?" For a long time I thought of changing my name cos it was getting so tiring dealing with all these sad jokes cracked by sad people.....

Anyways change my name I did not .... I am still stuck with this name.... and now I have a new complication in life - whenever I asked for a delivery home I have to repeat my name 10 times or spell it out before the person on the other line gets my name ... questions like "Alix?", "Sorry Madam, Cant understand" is most common response I get.... Finally in frustration I just confirm that my name is actually Alix and ask them to deliver....

If my life was not hard enough, the name of my building is also a tongue twister ... as innovative and witty as it is with the name "Wits End" for a building, your life just got a little more difficult.... "Widths End?" "Wet End?" or "West End?" are all common terms that I have been given over the telephone.... and then there are the endless stream of jokes which revolve around the obvious meaning of the term "Oh, so you are at your wits end?" (Not before dude but now with this joke I am)

I guess life does go on, crazy name or not... but if I ever have to name a kid I will ensure that it is a simple, soft, common name ...... which is why after repeated feedback (and someone calling me Baby Potato) I stopped calling Baby George Baby Tomato.... apparently I was setting the ground for him to be scarred for life.... well at least Baby Tomato would have had his aunt for company in dealing with the trauma.....

No comments: