Monday, January 28, 2013

I have just been approached to be a mentor to a young professional... she is all of 22... and bursting with enthusiasm I am sure at having joined one of the prestigious firms.... in short, as a mentor, I am supposed to help her navigate her career... and hopefully help her achieve heights of success..

If I were to look at my career progress and think about the advice I wished I had received, here is a list:

a. dont be afraid of enquiry... it might not amount to much but you have to keep an inquisitive mind
b. dont be afraid of getting it wrong first time..... just make your best effort no matter
c. be open to feedback
d. WORK comes first for the first 3 years of your life... then other things can come up...
e. Always keep your boss informed..
f. Be proactive...
g. dont hestitate to ask for work
h. Never tell the Boss you need downtime...

I am sure there are more.... for now I am hoping that I will get it right with this young associate...

No comments: