Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Public Speaking and Me

When I was a child I used to get petrified if someone asked me to speak in front of a crowd.... you know the usual mess would start in your brain - am I looking too fat? is my dress too short? Is my face really oily? Am I appearing like the biggest idiot on earth?

All sane questions in an insane moment... over time I conquered that fear and gradually became very comfortable with public speaking... I could go on stage and try and engage with the crowd... so much so that I thought I was the next Indira Gandhi.... waving to the crowds and throwing flowers... I still maintain I will be good at that...

Ofcourse that is all when I am totally prepared for such a public speaking requirement..... I can practice, I can perform, I can engage... and not when I am called imprompto on stage... that is when I shrivel up once again... I cant speak.... and when compared to all the witty speakers I end up looking like a bumbling fool....

Anyway the point of it all is that recently I was called to speak in front of a crowd of about 100.... and i am still reeling from the bad performance there.... I ended the day screaming to myself - WHY COULDNT I HAVE NOT SHUT UP????

No comments: