Wednesday, June 30, 2010

My friend and I were recently discussing about where we are and where we actually thought we would land up while growing up....

To be honest, growing up I had a sense of urgency to get out and go places..... to break away from the shackles of society and do something on your own... to build a life for your self... to earn for yourself.... stand on your own feet... be a participant in the world.... I have no idea where or how I got these ideas but I suspect my father had something to do with it... with that in mind I tailored my life... and I loved every minute of that process... ofcourse when failures came along I didnt particularly like it but I still had the sense to move on...

which brings me to the question - what if I was born with everything? as in i had the nice house, the nice car, nice holidays, active social life with my parents... and I didnt really need to work towards anything... would I be this driven? Would I aim to improve myself?? I am not sure....

Which is why I think the best gift you can give your children is the gift of vision... vision into the future for themselves.... something they have to strive for in their life.... something they cant take for granted....

I am sure glad my parents gave me nothing more than education... I dont know whether the next generation will view it similarly...

No comments: