Tuesday, August 16, 2005

First day

August 12th, 2005 will always be very memorable...it was the first day of my new job at ELP.... and it was the day my IDFC stocks just soared on the NSE giving me excellent returns for the 6 years investment at IDFC........

now on to my first day at ELP ...I waited at the lobby for what seemed like eternity but was only 30 mins....till Flora (the receptionist) gave me a desk to sit on.....as expected (actually quite unexpectedly) there was no computer at the desk and I was supposed to make do with this "temporary desk" till my desk was ready.....all would have been fine if I had not been saddled with work that required constant research and e-mailing from (yes, you guessed it right) the INTERNET!!...I kept jostling between people who were going in for meetings to use their computers...I think the tension of releasing the computer on time must have stressed me out more than my first day at work.....finally Indian independence day saved me...no August 15th didnt deliver me freedom from anything (although that remains a cherished hope to this day)...it merely ensured that people left office early to catch their flights for the long weekend......which gave me uninterrupted computer time till 9 in the night..... and at 9 in the night I was quite happy to go out with my new colleagues for a drink at Geoffery's....

This day was also punctuated by warm surprises.....evidence of people's concern and love for me....in the morning I was told that there was a bouquet of flowers for me at the desk.....and lo and behold the most beautiful red and yellow flowers greeted me...it was from Vaiju who had taken down my address and sent me flowers as a good luck gesture...I think my day was made then and there and I was confident that I would actually have a nice day...u r the best Vaij....and in the evening I was taken out for a spectacular dinner in celebration of my first day at work.....what more could I have asked for-thankkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk u.....ohh not to forget my insurance agent who also got me a bouquet the previous day as a farewell gift.....as a thankyou gesture i shall try to get him more LIC bakhras....

Day ended and weekend started.....in between running around for things I have been busy teaching my nephew new words....the latest being "I am awesome"....trying to inculcate self confidence early in his life......a point crucially missed by parents of most kids who take it upon them to point out only the flaws.....and also teaching him to speak on the phone....not an actual phone but a spoon that doubled up as one....it was cute nevertheless especially when he "hung" up on me when I asked him whether he was studying in school....well Christy (when you are able to read this) I am going to be asking you more uncomfortable questions in the future and you better not hang up on me.....

Thats the news from my side.....ohh did I also mention that I now have poker straight hair??

1 comment:

Shikha Bhattacharji said...

YOU STRAIGHTENED YOUR HAIR?!!?!??!!?!?!?!? :)