Tuesday, December 19, 2006

We didnt start the fire...

There are days when I just get pissed off with the world... for everything that is wrong with it.... for everything that needs to be righted and is not ..... for everybody (including me) who doesnt or chooses not to do anything.... and today is one of those days.... so a few of the things I hate are:


- I hate seeing children beg on the streets, especially girl children. ... one of the most distressing sights in mumbai for me was the sight of a naked girl child walking from car to car begging and shivering..... While I laud the passing of the Child Labour prohibition act, I still dont know which evil I prefer ... since I have no option but to choose between the two... one gives a kid and probably his family some source of income but is exploitative.... but without at least that and with no option for a decent enough education you are forced to beg on the streets. what do I support???

- I hate the fact that rape is considered as retributive tool in our society. "oh he pissed you off? Lets go rape his sister and teach him a lesson"... in one popular malayalam movie the hero looks at the sleeping heroine and asks himself - "shall I just do a rape ?".. as if it is just an option that is waiting to be exercise by men..........It was supposed to be funny and romantic (ofcourse they fall in love later. duh!) ..... sorry but I dont see any humour in making women look so weak and vulnerable...

- I hate the fact that we dont do enough to protect our environment.... and this where I think I fail miserably.... I am so clueless about what to do to contribute my two bits to this cause... other than ofcourse occassionally puting in recycled paper into the office printer..... worse I dont even know how I am impacting the environment with my behaviour....

- I hate the fact that justice in India is sooooooo difficult..... I dread the day when I have to fight a legal battle... yes, me a lawyer is saying that.... I hate the fact that nothing is reliable anymore.... I hate the fact that most Indians go through life not having hope in such situations......

- I hate the fact that good takes so much longer to get adequately recognised... that sometimes the good gets sidelined and is most often exploited....

- I hate the fact that I have to watch my back nowadays with even "friends".... that it has become so difficult to have a normal conversation without being judged....

- I hate the fact that Bush got reelected.... I hate it more that it impacts an Indian girl sitting in Mumbai... unfortunately, Americans rule ..... At least for now, that is..... I hate it even more that a western approval is more important to us than our own....

- I hate the fact that women dont know their value yet..... independent of a man that is... sorry this is not a feminist rant- just call it a humanist rant..... I just want women to realise their value for themselves.... so that they can demand more respect from society...

- I hate the fact that female foeticide is still prevalent in our country

- I hate the fact that I dont say "I love you" enough to the people I love....

Something's gotta give....

No comments: