Sunday, February 18, 2007

Apologies

I think I unwittingly offended my friend in the UK by writing about my reasons for not liking a life abroad.. I could almost sense her coming out of the computer screen and giving me two tight slaps....

She clarified the following to me:

a) she loves India even more now that she lives abroad

b) She thinks colour is more of an issue in India than abroad.

So she seemed pretty offended that I could make such general statments about people living abroad... And this blog is to apologise to her and also perhaps acknowledge a few facts to myself...

a) Yes some people do behave badly when they are in India. Perhaps it is their lack of knowledge, cultural enlightenment, or just simple lack of courtesy to a country that makes them feel it is ok to put down India. Sometimes I feel they do this here only cos we let them get away with it. Would they behave in a similar manner if they were say in Paris? or say in Venice? No they would just keep quiet. Indians on the other hand also take it cos for centuries we have been fed the BS that we are so inferior to the white skin. It is very acceptable for a foreigner to come to our land, show off his wealth and look down on the brown fellows and tell them how screwed up their life is.

b) I do remember people telling me that I have become more of an Indian after my return from UK. Even I acknowledge that. I remember my mallu accent became more pronounced and all my arguments with foreigners were about how we in India dont have such a bad life. I appreciated even the architecture of my country more when I saw what was on offer abroad

So perhaps it was not fair to make a general statement like that.. so apologies for that...

No comments: