Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Love Stories

I am sitting up at 12:30 in the morning cos of work... and usually when I am all alone I start thinking about the weirdest things...

For instance today the topic that is paramount in my head is love stories!!!.. I am a secret sucker for great romantic love stories... I love hearing stories about how strangers met each other, fell in love, and lived happily ever after.... so in a crowd Iam usually the first person to grill a newly married couple about how they met.... and almost to the point of appearing like a person who doesnt have any romance in her life, I just keep bombarding them with questions- "so what did you think of him when you first saw him?" or "so did you know at the start itself that you were meant for each other?" (yeah, stupid I know) or "when did you realise that you cant live without her?" etc etc... and now looking back I must have appeared like an eager fool... like someone living vicariously through other people's lives....

But none of that is true... I would be equally interested in a love story even when my own love story is at its peak... I just love love stories ... it warms my heart... oh come on! it warms your heart also....

what is the most beautiful love story I have heard??

Well it definitely is not Romeo and Juliet.... I mean I find it extremely impractical .... and needless to say it teaches gullible youngsters the wrong thing about love....

on the other hand Eric Segal's Love Story is quite decent.. when I read it for the first time at 19 I cried for poor Oliver... I bawled at the thot of Oliver having to live without Jenny for the rest of his life.... wouldnt every road remind him of her? How would he move on in life? ofcourse now that I am in my thirties I realised life does go on.... but the story is really touching in many ways... to feel that sense of loss for someone is indeed a very powerful feeling....

another love story is the story of Doctors, once again by Eric Segal... two best friends falling in love after having gone through all relationship issues with other people... in a way you want them to get together but at the same time you are wondering whether their friendship will be spoilt cos of that.... well it is a book so I am just going to keep assuming that they never fell out of love....

ofcourse there are other love stories I will always cherish in my heart like the "Far Pavillions" by MM Kaye.... the romance of a white man falling in love with an Indian princess is too much of a good thing ..... favourite part is the last scene where Ash and his beloved Anjuli ride off into the valley leaving behind a life of strife, separation, betrayal and sadness... all in the hope of a peaceful loving life.... ohhh my eyes are moist now just thinking about it...

The one love story that still makes me cry even today is the short story by Jeffery Archer called "Christina Rosenthal".... well ... I find it difficult to describe the emotion that I go through when I read that story...it is not just the love of a man and a woman... it is also the love of a father.... it is the love and devotion of a son... its just about love...

Ahh love...

but for now I would just love to sleep..... and would love it even more if i could hug baby and sleep....but Baby George is far far away....

No comments: