Saturday, February 10, 2007

Nostalgia

One of my favourite stories is Eric Segal's "The Class". Somehow the story of an entire batch of Harvard, their journey through life, their tribulations and finally taking stock of each others life at a college reunion gripped my fantasy... Does every batch of every college go through that? Would I go through that? What would it be like at my class's reunion? How would each others life look compared to the promises we made to the world and ourselves about how we would lead our lives?

I think there is one crucial thing that each one of us realises when we move on in life from college... that the plans we made will sometimes remain just that - plans... it is mostly unplanned things that happen that becomes our life.... I have seen very few people - perhaps a handful- whose lives have gone exactly according to plan.... Well good for them... and at the same time good for others whose lives did not go according to their plan- sometimes at 20 you are ready to marry even Charles Shobharaj....

I dont know why but I am just curious to find out how we all will be doing at the end of 30 years of life outside college... will we be more cynical? Will we have the business tycoon regalling us with stories of corporate acquisitions? Will we have the prime minister sitting in our midst? Will we have the best corporate lawyers trying desperately for one night not to be a shark? Will we have happy people or just highly wound up people? desperate to put up a facade of good life and of dreams achieved?

As for what I would like to end up looking like at the class reunion- one word sums it up- Cheerful... I hope no matter what life brings along in the next two decades I still maintain my cheerfulness... so even if I am leading a life as a corporate lawyer or as a housewife, or as a working mother (!!!!), or as a wife who lives off her husband's well earned income or as a waganond who does not have any base or as a solid anchored person living my life in the same city for the past 30 years-I just wish I am still as cheerful as ever... and still as curious about the world as I am today.... and have the ability to say "Que Sera Sera".......

Okk enough of Ms. Goody Two Shoes..... I also want to look HOTTTTTTTTT at my class reunion!!!

No comments: