Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Why am I not excited?

India is all poised to have its first woman president. By all stretch of imagination I should be excited and feeling proud of the fact that women have come so far in this country. But I am just not excited about this new development. the reasons?

Firstly, I will miss Kalam. I remember when I was studying in London people all commented about how India has a rocket scientist as the president. They saw India as being the country where scientists are honoured in this manner. And honestly I felt good that people made such an association.

Secondly, I dont know enough about the new nominee. Having heard about her background it appears to be her closeness to a specific No. 10 that has propelled her to this post. Not a good sign ever.

Thirdly, I feel Indian public doesnot have a voice in this matter. Going by the polls, it appears that people still prefer to have someone like Kalam in the presidents office.

Fourthly, I am always averse to people being promoted cos of gender. While I promote equality I hate the slogan of equality being used to gain advantage. In this specific case however gender may be a secondary consideration.

I also find it extremely ironic that India, with all its backward policies with respect to women, have been more than willing to accept women leaders. I know there is a touch of sentimentality attached to the same but women leaders have stayed put in the political spectrum. And like Time Magazine said India is in all but name being run by an Italian lady with no college education!!.

The dichotomy in India is amazing!

No comments: