Friday, September 03, 2010

Couple of things have kept my life a bit exciting in Washington....



First off I did my first interview of a potential internship candidate at Milbank.... I was nervous since I had never before interviewed anyone... ofcourse I have been interviewed before and I hate some of the questions that are thrown at me.... "where do you see yourself 5 years from now?" or "What do you like to do in your free time?".... I mean if the answer to the first question were to be any different from "I see myself slogging my a*%$ off at your organisation" you can kiss your chances goodbye... and for the second question, if you do have a life outside of work, you can pretty much kiss that goodbye since work demands will come before your life demands... but the suprisingly thing was that I found myself asking the exact same questions!!! I pondered over what questions to ask but I could not really come up with anything better.... I have more respect for interviewers now...



I went for my first private art exhibition in Washington DC.... so there I was mingling with the "arterrati" of Washington in their pearls and high heels looking at art... ofcourse it took me a while to figure out where the art was ..... only to realise later that the "art work" being exhibited were a series of video clippings..it was video art work... so there was a scene where a woman was vaccuming the sand on a beach.... yes, you read right... so the video repeated scenes of her crisscrossing across the beach with the vaccum in hand .... and I tried to make sense of the whole video to see the "art" in her and I think a vaccum was forming in my head... so I moved on to the next video... which was a camera following a woman on a street... and that was all it did for 2 mins... art shmart, it was 2 mins of my life wasted!.... but the night also helped me realise that art cannot be defined...it is what you define as art....

I also received my first Hurricane warning from my building... in anticipation of Hurricane Earl hitting our shores soon.... well apparently DC remains pretty much untouched by hurricanes and I am hoping it is true this time round as well....

This morning I walked around the Mall (where all the monuments are).... walked past the WW II memorial, the Korean war memorial, Lincoln Memorial etc.... Washington is great that way... you can walk past history and feel invigorated sitting in the midst of historical places.... every place has a significance in the Mall... I loved it.....

And now it is time for the long weekend here...

No comments: