Saturday, September 18, 2010

In one of the news programmes on CNN, one of the political strategist raised an issue which surprised me... he stated that the biggest mistake that Obama made when he took office was not to clarify which church he belonged to! I was stunned. I mean this is United States - there is no place for religion in a society made up of immigrants?? Turns out there is a strong Bible belt in the United States who are very serious about the candidates for presidency being of a particular religion... infact growing up I used to hear that Kennedy was the first catholic President ever... and I remember thinking to myself - but what is the difference? He is still a Christian right? Apparently the Bible belt does not like Catholics to be voted into power.

So we have Obama whose middle name is Hussein... and who had to clarify that he was not a muslim... and also confirm that he was a practicing christian.... to me that signified a clear discrimination... I mean isnt that what we face in Gujarat? the question of whether you are a hindu or a muslim? so in the worlds leading democracy religion still plays a card?

I was shocked and in a way distressed.... this just exhibited that no matter how much education, wealth, or even so called "progress" you make in society people are still petty and small about such things....

No comments: