Friday, September 24, 2010

Cultural Musings

Anywhere you go there is going to be a cultural exchange which is not going to be pleasant always... so while I have been very interested in learning about American culture (particularly the functioning of the Government, polictics etc) I have had some bloopers here...

The first one was at an office party... where at the end of the party I mentioned that my girlfriend is coming to pick me up... and immediately the lady replied "oh i didnt know you were gay"... I literally screamed out my clarification... nono.. its my friend who is a girl... the way i went around explaining it I might have sounded a tad homo-phobic...

the other incident was with a jewish friend... where he was explaining to me that during the recession he went against all advice and continued investing... and I half in awe told him "see that is the jew in you!".... my friend burst out laughing immediately... and told me that that is the most offensive thing you can say to a jew but he is laughing because I said it in such innocent way... I was profusely apologetic and told him that I meant it as a compliment etc etc...

So what are my learnings from this cultural experiences? That you can be stupid in any country.

No comments: