Wednesday, May 09, 2007

7 p.m and the regression starts

One thing my mom doesnt compromise on when her children are visiting is her 7 p.m. appointment with the T.V. Thats when the blaze of regional serials start in Kerala. Much like the Ekta Kapoor Serials that one is so used to hearing about in Mumbai. Now I dont watch any of them and I must admit I feel somewhat intellectually superior by declaring that I dont watch such serials. As much as others feel intellectually superior when they see me watching "101 biggest celebrity goof ups". Well, each to his own I say.

But there is something SOOOO regressive about the serials that my mom watches. Firstly all of them are really depressing and there is someone crying in all the scenes. And one walks away feeling that the world is a place with no hope left in it. Ok. Maybe it is sometimes but I really dont want to stare reality at 7 p.m. on T.V everyday. And then there are subtle anti woman messages that are sent out through each serial. Story about a woman crying and praying to get her indecisive husband back from another woman, a man telling a woman that she better behave herself lest she finds that the world is very dangerous for a woman, a mother crying cos her daughter has been abandoned by her husband etc etc.

I keep quiet through it all but I keep wondering why we cant see progress in the serials in our country. As they say "Everybody loves a drought" it must be true that "everybody loves a good cry". To see that you are not the only one who is suffering in this world. Something like - "Oh Subhalaxmi of ___ serial also faced a similar crisis". Its about identifying with something in your life I suppose.

Which brings me to the next question- are we all just basically living cos somebody else is having a worser time than you? Is that actual living when you feel good about your life only when you see how much worser other people's lives are? A very wise man once told me - "never share your troubles with your friends. Cos no matter how good a friend they are, they always feel happy that someone else is suffering."

I am not sure whether I totally agree with that logic but sometimes when friends tell me excitedly about their plans I keep telling them not to tell anybody else till it all works out. I keep warning them about the 'black eye' that seems to be lurking around. Am I too cynical? Perhaps.

No comments: