Thursday, May 17, 2007

Politically Correct Aunt

Bed time stories are a tradition with my dad... When I was a kid my dad would tell me stories about dragons, fairies, princes and princesses in a land far far away.... I would lie down beside my dad and listen intently .... always imagining my dad to be the hero in all of them....

One day Christy asked me to tell him a story... I was thrilled - Yay!... now I get the opportunity to pass on the tradition to the next generation.... and started off telling the story of Cinderalla to Christy.... About the orphan girl who was ill-treated by the step mom and step sisters.... about how she made friends with every animal (including rats) cos she didnt have company...and ofcourse the most important part about how the prince of that land was holding a ball to choose his bride.... how she didnt have proper clothes for the ball and the fairy God mother came to her rescue....

From then I decided to take the story on a different path... I told Christy about how the fairy God mother came down and told Cindrella that if she wanted to have proper clothes to go to the ball, then she would have to buy the clothes herself by working properly.... and how, encouraged by the fairy godmother Cinderalla went into the big bad city all by herself and started working hard and earning money.... and how the prince finally married her cos she was such an independent woman and not just a pretty woman in a pretty dress!!!...

Ofcourse the strong social message behind the story was completely lost on Christy cos at the end of the story he asked "Did she take the animals also with her?"

No comments: