Friday, May 11, 2007

What a little bit of competition can achieve

One of the things I really loathe when I am in Kerala are the ordinary chores that my mom hands down to me .... things like "switch on the heater", "put off the pressure cooker", "fill the water" etc are normal phrases that my mom uses around the house... I know I know... these are normal things that anybody should do in the house... I totally agree.. but the lazy bug in me bites just when such instructions are handed out...

So today my mom handed one more of those instructions- "please remove the clothes from the clothes line before the rain comes"... my heart was crestfallen ... I was just about to start my play time with Baby George .... and then the idea struck me... I have two able bodied nephews who are lurking around the house with nothing better to do than trouble their aunt.... so why not get them to do my bidding? And there and then I announced a competition! Competition on who can pick up the clothes faster and the one who picks up maximum clothes wins!!! ... I half expected both of them to come and slap me over my head when I announced such a ridiculously selfish competition... but surprise surprise!! The annoucement was greeted with a feverish scramble for the door by both of them... At first I was totally shocked - they actually bought that?? - and then having recovered from it I tucked Baby George (after all he will be doing the same in a couple of years) under my arms and ran after my enthusiastic nephews .... and what I saw was pure art...

Christy dived headlong into the competition ... he first swept all the clothes to one side of the line and then swooped it down.... his disadvantage - he was toooo small to hold all these clothes... my other nephew (who is called Nishanth in case I have not yet introduced him) just went about picking the clothes one by one and being bigger in size he could carry more.... Nishanth went a step further and even stole clothes from Christy taking complete advantage of the fact that Christy could not see from under the pile of clothes....... Baby George and I watched all this in amusement while encouraging both to keep going and not to give up till all the clothes were safely inside the house.... Finally, seeing that he had not got as many clothes as he needed to win the competition Christy went up to his mother and asked "Mummy, can I have some clothes please"....

All in all a very cute experience.... and later on I took both of them for icecream at Baskin Robbins.... Mainly as a gratitude payment for ensuring that their aunt didnt have to lift a finger for getting the clothes down from the clothes line....

And right after that my sister said "you are not like other normal aunts"... Well, normal is boring is some countries.... it is definitely boring in mine....

No comments: