Sunday, May 13, 2007

Memories....continued

I always envy people who grew up in one city... I never had one city that I grew up in and kept shifting cities every 5 years ..... as a result of which I never feel at home in any city....

But this is more so in Kottayam... the town that I technically belong to ..... I have no idea what it is about this town that drives me away.... There are many things that I like about the place.... for one I love the river right next to my house...its calm, serene and soothing for sore eyes... I love visiting the churches in Kottayam... there is something so pure and authoritative about them... I love Kumarakom and the backwaters....its lovely and I hope the place does not get too commercial.....

But this place is not home for me.... in some ways I feel I never fitted in Kottayam so well... I was always an outsider, a girl whose ideas were a little different from the rest of the girls and a girl who saw getting out of Kottayam as being the only way to get most out of life....

However this is my personal opinion about this place... there are many who swear by this place... they would die to come back to Kottayam and settle down here... and go fishing whenever they want, eat good food whenever they want and really have no care in the world other than whether the neighbour's dog is barking too loudly at night.... a great life some would say...

The problem probably lies in the fact that I never saw myself 'settle down' to a life in the backwaters... although I never had a clear idea about things, I knew that there has to be more to life that being rich, being somebody's wife (ofcourse that is not to at all demean wives and the role they play), going to the club and complaining about your mother in law or going to Bombay to check out the "latest fashion" ....

I just had to find out what else could be out there... I am glad I did.

No comments: