Sunday, January 14, 2007

The story of an aunt flying the kite

Next time anybody abuses me asking me to go fly a kite I will have a very honest reply... I am really not that good at it..... so the story goes like this....

I was all enthused about buying christy a kite after reading the story of kiterunner...ofcourse in that book some amount of sadness is associated with kites...but I was instantly transported to my childhood....where all the kids would come out and each would run with the kite in their hands...and I dont know whether it was the country of Oman that made a difference or whether it was my mom but my kite would actually fly really high...I remember once it flew so high that after a point we could not see it.... so as you can understand I have only happy memories as far as kite flying is concerned...

now fast forward about 20 years and I am at my wits end trying to fly a kite...it was the first time for Christy as well so I was really determined not to disappoint him... so I ran with the kite...except that the kite would rise about 3 metres and go around in circles and come crashing down.... and it happened so many times that poor christy went off to play in the park crest fallen feeling pretty sure that his aunt was just no good at it.... it was then that I decided to do the next best thing... ask for help.... so I enlisted the help of 3 guards in the building .... who did some heavy duty measuring and tying the kite....after which the kite flew the way it was always meant to fly.... up, up and away... and Christy came running from the park seeing his kite flying so high.... and soon insisted on taking the strings himself.... The sheer joy on his face was a sight worth seeing..... ofcourse as quick as it went up it also came down...but what the heck! I looked good in front of christy....

Baby George was ofcourse sleeping through this..... he had only slept till 9 in the morning and hence was too sleepy .... he however did come down with his mom to watch the desperate attempts of his aunt to fly a kite.... and after all the kite flying I was tired myself.... and I went and slept right next to him.... and then Baby George woke me up...with his gurgling and soft cries.... that kid can actually make enough noise to wake up people..... and soon it was about his feed and burping....

A Saturday well spent.... Christy flew a kite for the first time....I cut my finger and in the process relived a part of my childhood through christy.... and hopefully in another 6 years I will be flying a kite for Baby George.... and once again the sheer joy on his face would make my day....

No comments: