Sunday, July 22, 2007

Defending Law School

There are few things I am proud of in my life.. one of them is my education... particularly my law school education...

despite such pride for the first few years after law school I would downplay law school a lot... "yeah, its overhyped", "the profs are all very bad"... etc etc.... things however changed when I went to LSE.... at one of my visits to a pub with a group of lawyers, one Indian lawyer came up to me and made general conversation... all went fine till I told him that I am from law school.... it was if the air had sucked out all humanity out of him.... he was practically screaching.... "I know you law school types.. who think they are better than us... you guys are nothing special... you dont even know the law"..... while earlier I would just keep quiet and not react but this time I just could not fathom the fact that I was away from my country, in a cosmopolitan city, in the most international city in the world, and I have to hear some insecure nasty lawyer talk ill about my law school???... No Way!... I just could not take it... I just turned to him and said "Sour Grapes".... ofcourse he flared up even more....

and recently I met someone at a party where yet again this conversation surfaced again.... the person was like "I have met some of you law schoolites...some are in my law firm as well... I frankly dont know what is so special about you guys.... I am not even sure you know how to practice law"..... I looked up from my plate and told the person 'Well, what is special about us law schoolites is that all the partners in all the top law firms are law schoolites. I guess there must be something about us ".......... he ofcourse went on the defensive and went on and on about how law schoolites are brilliant etc..........

I am not one for flaunting anything in my life... but I do not like anybody putting down anything in my life either.... I am extremely proud of my life and if anybody thinks I should not be then so be it.... but please help yourself out of my life then...... I wont mind one bit....

No comments: