Friday, July 06, 2007

Of late I have been thinking about changes that happen in one's life..... as a child you are never prepared to face changes .... as an adult sometimes you keep hoping for a change in your life... most often one is never prepared for that change - good or bad... sometimes the long awaited change comes at a time when you really dont expect it anymore despite longing for it....

Personally there have been many changes in my life ... looking back, however painful it might have been at that time, I dont think I would have wanted life any other way.... for instance the biggest change in my life was the shift from Oman to Kerala... while I love India blah blah blah, for me the shift was a complete nightmare...

I found it extremely difficult to adjust to a life in Kerala..... found it difficult that I could not cycle around (lest people start talking about you), found it difficult that there was no place where one could go and play bad minton or just play carroms, found it difficult to understand the new people I was getting to know, found it difficult to understand why money was all of a sudden of paramount importance in one's life, found it difficult to understand why I was not taken to school in a school bus (my school didnt provide me that service)..... I just found it difficult. Period.

Over time I gradully adjusted to India and finally found my place only in law school... I am now as comfortable in India as Baby George is in his swing cot..... I love the pace, the chaos, challenges.........

The other big change in my life was ofcourse law school... it was a wonderful change that was due for a long time.... and quite honestly after Kerala it was like I was let up from under water to breathe...... and breathe I did..... and then ofcourse as a result of that I came to Mumbai to work and everybody knows my feelings about Mumbai...

the other big change in my life was my study in London for a year.... It was such an exciting yet anxiety inducing time for me.... I was ecstatic about having got the scholarship to LSE... I was even more ecstatic that I would get to live in London for a year... I remember excitedly packing up my stuff, selling my beautiful low seater chairs, shipping my antique chair to Kottayam, saying goodbyes to all and sundry and heading out to the UK as excited as Baby George gets when he sees food..... what a one year I had... I learned so much, travelled so much, met so many people, studied spanish ....... whew!

And sometimes you see changes happening in another persons life and that affects you ... like my sister shifting to Mumbai and now being a die hard Mumbai fan.... I cannot think of a time without her now...or my friends who all shifted out of Mumbai one by one cos of educatio, marriage or just a change of city.... or the entry of Baby George into this world..... all of them have affected my life in some way or the other....

I guess there will be many more changes in my life - some good some bad....

Change is constant. Thankgod it is.

No comments: