Tuesday, December 07, 2010

one of the new things I did this weekend was attending a service at Westminister Abbey..... I was really keen to go since I had heard so much about the place and I wanted to see what it was like.....

Now the abbey has a lot of significance in history since a lot of important people have been buried there... so I was standing in front of the tombstone marking the place where Isaac Newton was buried... and I could not help but feel a tinge of history on the back of my head... imagine standing where Isaac Newton has been laid to rest... the service itself was good... there were alot of latin words spoken... quite frankly it would have made no difference to me even if it was in Malayalam... since i never quite follow what is being said at the altar... I looked around to see the majesty of the building... and there were so many photo opportunities inside... unfortunately photography is banned... and hence I had to contend with conceptualising it in my head.... I also took the communion and watched as the choir boys streamed past me at the end of the service... it was all so formal... and a bit scary...

I wonder why the church is so infused with so much formality and procedure..... isnt christianity a religion which the common man is supposed to have access to... but seeing such procedures and practices I felt completely cut off from God.... but I am glad I went..... its always nice to sit in a church... I find it very peaceful...

No comments: