Friday, July 30, 2010

A friend and I discussed recently about what one wants to do in life....my friend entreated that she wants to do something "big"... something that would take my friend away from the "small" in life... and I listened curiously...

I was caught by this bug early on in life... that somehow I wanted to be more useful in society.. that the purpose of ones life is to be able to do something spectacular... and after a process of trying to figure out what i wanted to be in life I came to the sad conclusion that I am probably never going to do anything spectacular for the world, that very few people actually end up changing the world and that the world has enough people competing for what you are aiming for... so rather than focussing on what I could do for the world I decided to focus on what I could do for myself.... at least one of us(me and the world) is happy with that...

and while today I consider myself to be a lawyer and focus my energy on doing a good job, sometimes I do feel the need to explore and break out of the conventional mode of living ... something that would make me sparkle inside... something that convinces me that my life is not only about the mundane....

and then I also wonder is this an eternal quest that everybody is engaged in? or is it just me?

No comments: