Friday, July 23, 2010

Random musings

So as you can see I have decided to write everyday about my experiences... cos somewhere I believe if I ever read this 20 years down the line I will have some memories to reflect on and maybe even some good reading at that age...



Just yday I was using a new gadget I found in the store and I thought to myself "Wow that just made my life a bit simpler".... It is very rare that I have such thoughts in India... .. hmm... why is that? Are we Indians not innovative?



I also started thinking about the ingredients of a "good life".... and here is my list of ingredients of a good life...



a. Love: I feel very stupid saying this but I feel the most alive when I love, am in love and is loved. Give me love anyday I think I will consider half of life's battles to be won....



b. Family - closely related to the above, I would consider a good family life to be an ingredient of a good life.... ofcourse it is another matter that I will tear my hair apart if my folks stayed with me but still they are there and I am grateful for that... ofcourse Baby George is also a necessary ingredient in my life... hahaha... he is growing up now... I wish my sister or brother would have one more kid - only to keep me entertained like Nishant, Baby George and Christy do/did....



c. Success: Now this is a tricky one... I have realised (much to my own surprise) that I am actually a very ambitious person... and I also realised that my ambition is very different from the rest... so it is not about the money but about my own sense of accomplishment... so for instance if I wanted to prove myself in a certain field...I would not rest till I got that ... even if it is not a desirable ambition as per society's standards.... I believe one should be extremely happy in one's job, look forward to going to office everyday, have a vision for oneself for the future and make sure you are always bettering yourself...in a way this secondment is a way of bettering myself...



d. Activities... One must always have a hobby that one does outside of work... which he or she is really passionate about.... this would help hone a skill that the person would otherwise not get in the job...

e. Friends: This is a critical one... and in a Mumbaikar's life the lifeline... You need to have a set of trusted friends who will be with you through thick and thin... and friends who you can have fun with.... and just hang around when your spouse or parents irritate you...

f. Good help.... Yes, people... its absolutely critical to have good domestic help... in my mind it is actually number one... like they said in a movie... "I can always get a new husband but it is so difficult to get a good maid"....

g. Good House- now in Mumbai it is very relative what is a good house... what I have in mind is a house where when you enter the first thing that greets is a clean lobby rather than paan stained staircases..... just a nice cute place which gives out warm vibes... and helps you relax...

h. Loyalty. I think one should have a sense of loyalty to something... to your family, country, principles, job... whatever it is.... that gives you a higher purpose in life I think...

i. Public transport - now this is a quirk of mine - I like public transport more than private cars (although I do miss my car back in mumbai).... but I think my quality of life is tremendously improved if I can travel anywhere anytime without having to think about the time it takes or even the safety aspect...

j. Good television and movies... I dont need to explain.... Everyday when I get back from work I love to relax in front of the TV... now in DC I watch reruns of friends and sometimes Law&Order... but in India I used to watch all the telesoaps as well... and ofcourse movies ! Ahh nothing better than a day out at the movies with friends...

In general I think you will be content if you have an open mind.... I dont yet have it.... maybe this stint will help me do that....

No comments: