Wednesday, July 14, 2010

So yday I had the chance to talk to two Indian Americans... one was a stranger I had met while applying for visa and the other is a friend of a friend... both of them were goodlooking, young, ambitious women who had started their life in India... one had married the other had not... and both had shifted to the US about 7 - 10 years back.... to both I asked the question - "do you miss india?"..... and both gave the same answer "why would we?".... one went on to elaborate... "I find life in India so stressful. I wonder how people back in India live the way they do with so much of stress. Here my life is all set - I have a work life balance, I have a career that is going places and which wont be dictated by personalities, the infrastructure in my current city is good.. unlike in Mumbai where the infrastructure is soooo bad. I still remember the horrific traffic jams in Mumbai and used to get frustrated....". The other Indian American went on to elaborate "when I am in India I am amazed at how much help there is.. my brother has 3 drivers 2 maid and one nanny... and I keep feeling bad that these people are doing so much for me... and once when I was in India, i decided to do the dishes myself but then the kitchens in India are so dirty that I decided that it is better that a maid does it."...

Now I dont judge these women... they are all right in their own way... and I agree with most of their comments about Indian life... however I dont remember my life being bad cos I had help.. yes the infrastructure in Mumbai is really bad.. it is bad compared to many cities in India itself... and it is frustrating to drive in Mumbai (at least before the sea link started).... I wonder whether I will start talking like them if I were to stay here for good....

No comments: