Tuesday, August 10, 2010

A friend of mine recently commented about how someone has left law and started a restaurant business in London... and while I said that is good, my friend said his life must be so much better than ours - he does not have to listen to clients screaming at him, worry about deadlines, do boring documentation etc etc... and I listened intently and I wondered why is it that people think being in a high pressure job like that of a lawyer or an investment banker is akin to social suicide... well yes you dont have personal time and most of the time your life is dictated by the demands of crazy clients and bosses... and most often you really want to tear your hair apart cos your team just didnt pull it together.... I could go on and on about the perils of being a lawyer...

but I have to ask... which job doesnt run all these perils? maybe to a different degree or of a different kind.. but tell me one job that does not entail stress and emotions.... take for instance the restaurant guy.... I wonder whether he doesnot have to stress about getting the ingredients on time, listen to clients complaining about food being served bad, worry about the quality, worry about the employees, worry about running the establishment accordingly to the laws etc etc.... all in all I think running a restaurant is not as stress free as it is cut out to be - no people, eating at a good restaurant is not the same as running it....

so when I asked my friend - you mean you would much rather cook for people than draft documents for people? and my friend said yes. and therein lies the difference - you just have to love what you do otherwise even cooking would make you squirm... or even documentation would make you scream... only if you love what you are doing then can you say you are totally happy...

Let me know when you find out what is it that you love to do... I am discovering new new things everyday myself...

No comments: