Thursday, August 19, 2010

my pray

One of the lessons learnt by Julia Roberts in Eat, Pray, Love is where she learns to forgive herself.... and that forgiveness enables her to move on to better things in life (read finding her soul mate)....

Forgiving yourself is one of the toughest things to do - even more difficult than forgiving others.... you could forgive others knowing that forgiving them would get rid of them from your life completely... but you are going to have to live with yourself even after you forgive yourself... and hence most often you are reluctant to forgive yourself easily... you chastise yourself more often in the hope that you can in some way become a better person.... well... as life shows being unforgiving results in you becoming the most unhappy person on earth...

now I am not big on forgiving.. forgiving others or myself for that matter... I hold on to past grudges and even more so when they dont apologise for their mistakes..... of late I have realised that asking for forgivness need not always precede you forgiving them... if I could quote the Bible on this Jesus forgave his crucifiers despite them not asking for any forgiveness...... I have to still master it...

Most of all I need to start forgiving myself .... for some of the choices I made which didnt quite work out the way I had hoped ..... for not rectifying my mistakes even when I knew I made a wrong choice .... and for not having the guts to take a bold decision when I could have cut short a messy situation with just that bold decision... for not listening to my own judgement which in many cases has proved accurate ...Above all I forgive myself for being an ordinary person who let herself live in the moment....

so what do you forgive yourself for today?

No comments: