Tuesday, August 03, 2010

What is my thought for the day?

Everyday I labour to figure out my thot for the day since I feel I have such limited time in Washington I must have a new thot everyday.... well today the thot is this...

The whole debate about me liking Mumbai better than Washington has evoked very mixed reactions from people.... some were like - "you cant be serious"... how can you like a dump like Mumbai? and others understood...

net net I realise that the place you call home is not cos that place is the cleanest, prettiest, busiest, richest or even the most comfortable... but it is home cos there are so many things attached to it such as your family, job, heart, lifestyle, comfort, familiarity, people, culture and your sense of being in the city... I think it was my cousin who pointed out that I like Mumbai cos I developed my wings there... maybe true....but I think I really developed my wings in Law School.... but Mumbai allowed me to fly I guess....

In the end it is all about how familiar a place becomes to you that you consider it as the place where you can be yourself... I have never felt that form of familiarity with any other city than Mumbai... not even when I was a student at LSE for a year... I just kept thinking of going back to Mumbai.... maybe if I stay in another city for as long as I have stayed in Mumbai I might just consider that city my home....

No comments: