Monday, August 09, 2010

I am bit staggered by the news that our census think Indian housewives dont do any productive work and hence should be clubbed along with beggars and prsotitutes (the fact that prostitutes dont do any productive work is also suspect)....



Having a sister and a mom who are both live at home moms, I wonder what price the Government would have paid to have the same services rendered by a professional... I mean my mom may drive me crazy, but she picked up after me when I was young, protected me, made sure she jumped into the sea when i was swept away in a wave and saved me, made sure that I dont associate with the wrong men at an impressionable age, goes through worry after worry cos I am not married, give me advice when I least expect her to do so... and above all gives me a place I can call home.... and same goes for my sister... she takes her kids safely to school, prepares meals for them, teaches them, throws them bday parties cos they shd feel good (even though it is staggering excruciation for her).... and above all the boys feel that they are coming to a stable home...



I ask the Government - how can you put a price on this? if you can please do cos I would really like to know the savings made in a household cos the housewife chooses to stay at home and look after her children and her home...



While what the Government says does not really change the importance of a mother and wife in the house... I wonder what it will teach the generations who are going to grow up in the next decade reading our "higher ups" thot a house wife is someone akin to a beggar and a prostitute.....

No comments: