Monday, August 02, 2010

When I was visiting Canada, my cousin's son when seeing the Blackberry in my hand asked incredously "You have Blackberry in India?" My first reaction was ofcourse to teach the little one the strides made by India... and before I could even open my mouth my counsin sister had already launched into a spiel of how India makes 35 dollar computers so India has everything...



After that I wondered why is it that we have to always compare things like success, progress, advance to what the West has ... so it is something like West has blackberry and hence I should too to show advancement... and many Indian wrongly tout these external gadgets as their ticket to "uber coolness"... including the author at times....

I guess West has been the leader in many things for the past 3 centuries... and until some country in the East shows the way it is always bound to be a West driven parameter of success.... do I like it?

I guess I dont mind it.... that is until Indian Americans start deriding India..... my simple point is... do you meet someone for the first time and tell them "oh you must have such a miserable existence given your financial situation?" or do you enter a house and start criticising the house for its lack of luxury? No you dont. You just be civil and be polite.

No comments: