Sunday, October 10, 2010

Dead tired after my weekend calsses. ... as always in my enthusiasim I have signed up for weekened classes..... the first of them being my eternal quest of mastering photography... and today the instructor took us through the basics of an SLR camera... and Godddd... did I come off as an absolute baboon... i had no idea where any of the functions on my camera were... but all in all a very informative class... and I hope I can exhibit some of my talent once this class is over.... though walking around in cold london holding a camera is really not that exciting ..... I was frozen by the end of the class so much so that I thot of bunking the class in front of the teacher herself... but stuck on with it like my co-classmates... some of them who had even more stupid beliefs about them being able to brave teh london weather with just a t-shirt..... well not their fault... the weather department had predicted a very sunny sat to all of us... it was also a motley crowd... from switzerland, London, Poland, Greece etc... as always discussions turned to economic situation in Europe... and how pissing off the Tea Party movement in the US is.... well tomm is another class....

Most often I am very boring on Friday nights... I just like to go home, watch tv and fall off to sleep... but it is like I am a new person in London... so I readily accepted an invitation from a colleague to go out with him and his friends for dinner and a night club... night club I said was a bit doubtful but dinner I am on for.... so it was nice little vietnamese joint that we went for... officially my first night out in London ..... had a great time...... there were people from around the world...Mongolians, French, Lebanese, Sri Lankans, Indians, English, Uganda etc.... and many asked me about life in Mumbai... to them it seemed like a far away land with many secrets to be unearthed... and I didnt disappoint them at all... I regaled them with stories about the train rides, the black and yellow cabs, the chaos that is a part of every Mumbaikar's life.... I told them to imagine NY, multiply it 100 times over for people and filth, and then 100 times over for chaos as well... and that is Mumbai.... one of them even asked me whether I had acted in a Bollywood movie... a question that I have been asked many times since coming over to the US by many people.... now I would like to believe that they think I am so good looking that I should be in a bollywood movie but mostly I think it is due to ignorance about Bollywood... to them anyone from Mumbai would be living in the heart of Bollywood and hence would have played some small part in it.... I sadly said "I wish"... but promptly offered the English man the chance to come to Mumbai and starr in a bollywood movie as a sidey white drug dealer ......I think he is mulling over that suggestion right now...

week one in London... and I feel like I am at home... no issues, no angst, no missing familiarity (ofcourse I miss some aspects of mumbai and my family).... I even get good dal here... which satisfies my craving for Indian food as well.. London somehow seems more lively, full of life and absolutely welcoming than Washington....it is like Chennai and Mumbai (sorry Chennaities)... I wont elaborate... but you can go to these cities and see for yourself....

No comments: