Friday, October 08, 2010

London feels strangely like home... It may be because I have lived in London before and navigating through this city was like navigating through home town.. I knew the bus stops, the tube stations, the easy routes etc etc... and not to mention how some things are similar with Mumbai... so everynight I drive past Kings Cross station and for a brief moment it looks like I am looking at Victoria Terminus in Mumbai.. it is similar in its architecture... and then ofcourse the fact that I am working as late as I would be working in Mumbai... so I am one of the lawyers sitting back in the office till about 10 in the night trying to meet a deadline.... and every lawyer in the office is ordering junk food over the telephone, attending conference calls while sitting in an office strewn with papers... ahh.. Mumbai AMSS life...they all ofcourse very friendly as well... most come to my office to chat about life... and also to ask whether I would like to go out for lunch... which is very very sweet....and yday I met my co-room mate.... she is a mom of 2, a brilliant lawyer and a part time employee.... she faced the same problems that every working mother faces... guilt. guilt at having left her children behind, guilt because her mother reminds her that she is being a bad mom by working, guilt at not having the time to put 100% into the job.... I have been trying to find a solution to this unique problem that women face but seems like no where in the world do people want to give credit to a woman to have a baby....

Ofcourse the familiarity in London may also be due to the number of Indians I see on the street! not to mention being greeted by Punjabi women at Heathrow airport... made me want to do an impromptu bhangra right there and then thinking I was in the heartland of Punjab....

Whatever it is London has made me feel very welcome.... thanks London...thanks 2010

No comments: