Friday, October 15, 2010

I am technologically challenged.... that I had no doubts about... but I was always confident that if ever I was called into a situation I would always rise up to the ocassion and get on with it...

so there are two new technologies that have confronted me since I came to London... one was the most innocuous thing in the house - the stove... now I am used to stoves where you can actually see the stove and you can actually see the fire burning... in my house in London I have a stove which is like an ipad... it is flat, black and operates like a computer.... so first day I started searching for the stove thinking it is hidden is some cupboard.... all the while completely ignoring the ipad on the kitchen counter... and then out of curiosity I looked closely and realised that this contraception is what is going to feed me for the next 3 months.... Gosh.. what a struggle.... luckily the apartment came with the manual instruction .... so there was me holding the manual in my hand while trying to make an omellete .... all the while trying to figure which of the switches to touch to get the damn stove to start heating!!! and while I did miraculosly manage to cook the cook, I was very happy to be seperated from the ipad stove as well... now I mostly stay away from the ipad and in case of absolute necessity take the help of the instruction manual again... so can I say that I cooked over an ipad??? yeah, dont think so....

Then today for the first time I got into a lift that had no floor switches (lack of a better word) on it..instead you had press the computer outside and press the floor and the comp would announce which lift you were to get into and then that lift would take you there... since there were no floor switches you really have no control over where you are going and hope that the comp knows what it doing and sending you where you are supposed to go..... alas, I was not to be that lucky... so I was supposed to go to Lobby, instead the comp send me to 2nd Floor.... I waited patiently thinking that the next stop would be the lobby... only that the comp decided to send me back to the 32nd floor where I had initially got on from!!! and it went on and on like that 4 more times...up and down, up and down and up and down and up and down... to use the perfectly English term, I must have looked like a "muppet" to the rest....until a kind soul finally told me how to go to the right place... and then I just jumped off at the nearest floor to the lobby before being carted back up again to the 32nd floor... Gosh, my head is still a bit weasy from all the climbing up and down...

Evidently I am not very good at adapting....

No comments: